Networker

Re: [Networker] Bootstrap retention?

2009-09-23 11:50:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Bootstrap retention?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 11:45:01 -0400
Len Philpot wrote:
Someone please tell me what I've overlooked here...

We put a new 7.5.1 server into production about three weeks ago. It has across-the-board browse and retention policies of one month (itself and all clients). However, some (but not all, about half) of the bootstraps have a 1-year retention, which we definitely don't want. The rest have one month as desired. The short and long ones are mixed across adv_file, stage tape and clone tape volumes, FWIW.

It's always been my understanding that if the server is not a member of an active group then its bootstrap (possibly index, too) will get backed up by every group. When a group runs, each of its constituent clients will save its data along with the client index once the client's data has completed, unless, however, you check the group option: 'No index save'. In that case, each of the clients will NOT save their index following completion of the backups, never mind the fact that the index was still updated, assuming, of course, it's enabled on the pool.

Typically, the default 'Retention policy' is one year. You can have the server in its own active group and pool and set the Retention for that NSR client resource to something other than one year, and that should not impact the retention policy for other clients. We back up our server to its own pool and group, and enable the saving of the client indexes in their respective groups. We don't use a separate pool or group for the client indexes, but I will periodically manually back them up (level=full) to a separate pool.

Check the retention time for your server's NSR client resource and check to see if it's a member of an active group.

George

I've looked through every setting I can find, but there's nothing there pointing to a year. I have a test system setup the same way and it's not doing this.

What have I missed??

Thanks.
--
Len Philpot
   Cleco IT Network Services, PGO3 - ext 7167

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -