Networker

Re: [Networker] linux legato client

2009-09-17 12:47:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] linux legato client
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:41:54 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] linux legato client, Mike Cannon said (at 4:24pm...:

I have always found it difficult to install the legato linux client
without forcing it.  I discovered recently that our team is uses the
32 bit legato client on 64 bit RHEL machines because of dependency
issues.  I tried to install the newest client on a fedora 11 machine.
I have about the same issue I had with fedora 8 and 9.  I realize that
fedora may not be on the current support matrix for the legato client
but fedora is usually an indication of where redhat is headed.  I now
have to acquire the openmotif dependency from places like pbone.net.
Further I was not able to acquire all the needed dependencies.   Help
in understanding where to get these dependencies would be
appreciated.  Also any thoughts of where the legato client is headed
in relation to potential dependencies issues in future versions of
RHEL would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your support.

[root@mikec linux_x86]# uname -a
Linux mikec 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 27 21:39:52 EDT
2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@mikec linux_x86_64]# rpm -ivh lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcap.so.1()(64bit) is needed by lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.x86_64
        libstdc++.so.5()(64bit) is needed by lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.x86_64
        libstdc++.so.5(CXXABI_1.2)(64bit) is needed by lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.x86_64
        libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2)(64bit) is needed by lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.x86_64
        libstdc++.so.5(GLIBCPP_3.2.2)(64bit) is needed by
lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.x86_64

I'm confused Mike.  Are you asking about RHEL, which is supported, or
Fedora, which currently isn't?  If your main concern is RHEL, why don't
you just install these missing dependencies?

        sudo yum install libcap compat-libstdc++-33

Both are available for x86_64 on RHEL.  Ditto openmotif.  I don't know
about F11.

[root@mikec linux_x86_64]# cd ..
[root@mikec Download]# cd linux_x86
[root@mikec linux_x86]# rpm -ivh lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcap.so.1 is needed by lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1.i686

Again, just install the necessary package to meet the dependency.  It's
there and available:

$sudo yum search libcap
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin
=============================== Matched: libcap
================================
libcap.i386 : Library for getting and setting POSIX.1e capabilities
libcap.x86_64 : Library for getting and setting POSIX.1e capabilities
libcap-devel.i386 : Development files for libcap
libcap-devel.x86_64 : Development files for libcap

[root@mikec linux_x86]# rpm -ql libpcap.x86_64
/usr/lib64/libpcap.so.0.9
/usr/lib64/libpcap.so.0.9.8

Those obviously aren't going to work since you're trying to install a 32
bit RPM and it's looking for 32 bit dependencies and you currently only
have the 64 bit version installed.

Tim
edu