Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker makes always full backup (rsync)

2009-09-15 02:15:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker makes always full backup (rsync)
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:11:26 +1000
On 15/09/2009, at 15:58 , tentaal wrote:

Our Linux servers are backuped by using rsync. Rsync copy all new files to a central server that has the networker client installed on it.

The problem is that Networker always makes a full backup of data that comes to Linux server. I suppose this is somethings to do with rsync because other files (Linux file system (/root, /opt/ ....)) are not fully backuped.

What do you think about it?

Two things I could immediately think of are to see whether there are any settings available for you in rsync to fully preserve ctime/mtime on the synchronisation. It's been a while since I've done anything with rsync other than very basic transfers, so I can't recall what it offers there.

If rsync is preserving mtime but not preserving ctime for the transfers, you may want to look at invoking the mtimeasm process for the backup of the rsync target repository via a custom directive - that may get you where you need to be.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com