Networker

Re: [Networker] Exchange 2003 Public Folder restore

2009-09-10 11:31:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Exchange 2003 Public Folder restore
From: "Ryan, Dan" <DRyan AT MEDPLUS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:25:41 -0400
Coming from someone that just went through this misery... You have two
options.  If you have a brick level backup of the public folder, you can
use the Networker User for Exchange, select the folder(s) that need to
be restored, and recover.

However, if you don't have that option (you only backup the exchange
stores at the store level) you're only solution is another exchange
server that you can overwrite the public folder database preferably in a
test environment.  You will then have to use a pst tool or PFDAVAdmin
tool to merge them back into the existing public folders.

Your best bet is to use PFDAVAdmin utility and/or Recovered items
through Outlook to recover the data but that all depends upon what your
policy is for Keep deleted items for (days) option on the public store.
We were lucky enough to recover from a brick level backup of the public
folder, but I know the utility I mention if it has been recent is a
better way to recover then going back to tape.

Good Luck,
Dan Ryan
MedPlus, A Quest Diagnostics Company | Data Backup and Storage
Administrator
Please think about resource conservation before you print this message