Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 x86 Disaster Recovery NW 7.4.3

2009-09-10 11:19:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 x86 Disaster Recovery NW 7.4.3
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:14:06 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
09/09/2009 05:15:24 PM:

> On 9/9/09 9:47 AM, Greggs, Dana wrote:
> > How many businesses do you think have migrated to Windows 2008 SP
> any much less Windows 2008 SP2? If it helps I have done DR on
> Windows 2003 SP2 with Networker 7.4.x and 7.5.x.
>
> How many businesses are going to be running windows 2003 next year
> when it has gone off maintenance?

It's not going off maintenance, AFAIK. There will be certain security
fixes for it for a while yet, IIRC. There will be no service packs, and
non-critical fixes.

> Anyway, EMC was able to provide us a workaround today for future
problems:

> 1) Use the 7.5sp1 client for Windows 2008 -- the fixes to make the
> VSS backups work was too
> much to be back-ported to the 7.4 releases
>
> 2) Before doing the DR recovery, install any server roles that were
> on the failed machine
>
> then the DR works -- things that get published out to the domain (i.
> e. printers) will need to
> be deleted at the domain controller and then published again from
> the recovered server.

For the printers, use the free "printmig" tool. It will save all printer
definitions on a server to a file. Then you can use the tool to restore
all the printer definitions at once.

I scripted a weekly save of all definitions to a centralized share, which
I backup nightly.