Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade Time... (7.4.4 to 7.5.1)

2009-09-09 09:01:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade Time... (7.4.4 to 7.5.1)
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:56:44 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
09/03/2009 07:27:30 PM:

> I'm trying to figure out why people have so many storage nodes...  10,
> really?
>
> I've got a fairly beefy backup environment, about 36TB on the weekends
and a
> lot of boxes 100+.  And I'm doing this all on a single Sun T5240...
doesn't
> even seem to be cracking a sweat.
>
> Seems to me... any modern machine can handle:
>     Atleast 6 1GB NIC's if not 2-4 10gb NIC's...  so that's 7-40gb/s
> inbound...
>     Atleast 2-4 dual ported 4gb HBA's... So that's 16gb/s outbound...
>
>     And a modern 4x4 Intel server or a 100+ coolthread Sun server can
easily
> move that much bandwidth...
>
>     So why so many boxes?

I'm not Chester, but I have 10 (AFTD) storage nodes. In my case;

I have 4 Win2003 SQL clusters. Each is a (dedicated) storage node, AFTD
(i.e., disk storage). 4 others are development Win2003 SQL servers - also
AFTD storage nodes. Another is my email system (Loathsome Notes) - also
AFTD. And the last is my Win2003 cluster, which is my main file share.
Also AFTD.

In my case, all of my nodes are AFTD, so that I can keep at least a couple
days backup on disk, for immediate restore (rather than waiting for tapes
to be delivered offsite).