Networker

Re: [Networker] Powershell with networker

2009-09-09 08:08:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Powershell with networker
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 08:03:04 -0400
I use it a lot, however I find the networker commands are geared more
toward unix than windows (i.e. output is text strings - often not great
for pipelining etc). Personally, it's much easier for me to take a bash
snippet that someone may have posted/given me and redo it in MS
powershell than it is in VB or WSH, or even bat/cmd files.  Usually,
these are "one-off" jobs where I just need to find something in the
data, or perhaps make a large change at once and am not about to waste
two hours in the UI when I can do it in a few lines of powershell.
Again, use what you are most comfortable with...

Regards,
Jamie
On
>> Behalf Of Joe N. Wallace
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 08, 2009 11:59 PM
>> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>> Subject: Re: [Networker] Powershell with networker
>>
>> So is anyone here using powershell to control any networker tasks,
functions
>> or reporting?
>>
>> Or is it only perl?
>>
>> Wallace
>>
>> 2009/9/9 Anacreo <anacreo AT gmail DOT com>
>>
>> > I'm not the biggest fan of perl in terms of "best" language... but
I do
>> > have
>> > to agree with Howie...  Perl is definitely a way to go for driving
the
>> > NetWorker commands and seems to be the language of choice for
NetWorker.
>> > (Somehow I still manage to do almost everything I need in bourne)
>> >
>> > However if you're very familiar with PowerShell you could probably
write
>> > some very cool functions to handle NetWorker output, but there
won't be
>> > much
>> > useful out in the NetWorker world to you for that.  And you know M$
every
>> > update to the OS could knock out your PowerShell interface with a
language
>> > change.
>> >
>> > Alec
>> >
>> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Howie Jock
<Jock.Howie AT nzpost.co DOT nz>