Networker

[Networker] When Would NetWorker Request A Tape?

2009-09-08 09:54:13
Subject: [Networker] When Would NetWorker Request A Tape?
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:50:54 -0400
A few days ago, a request for 3 tapes appeared in NetWorker.  Typically our
process is to have the person needing tapes from offsite is to e-mail the
backup operator to give a "heads up".  No e-mail, just the system notice
that tapes are needed.  Our evening operator went offsite to collect the
tapes and put them into the system.  I went looking into the media DB to see
what contents were on the tapes to figure out what system(s) had files on
those tapes so I can find the potential system operator who did a late night
restore.  Turns out that the tape didn't have any common system files.
Other than a file restore, I'm trying to figure out why NetWorker needed
these tapes.

Thus my question, when would NetWorker request a tape that's been written to
and exported (flagged read-only and exported from a tape library)?

I had previously assumed that such a request would come only with an
attempted recovery.  Are there other system related process that could
possible attempt to recall exported media?

I appreciate any thoughts and insight into this odd mystery.  Thanks!

-Tom B.