Networker

Re: [Networker] Migration

2009-09-04 13:26:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migration
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:22:00 -0500
Claude,
  You're not really doing a disaster recovery here... your doing as you say
a server migration.  Based on your environment if I was doing this I'd do
the following:

*On old server:*
Put in NSR Upgrade Enabler code for NetWorker 7.5.1
Shutdown old NetWorker...
Copy all the /nsr directory from old server to new server

*On new server:*
I'd recommend a ZFS file system on new server for /nsr, if done, make a
snapshot before running installs.
  * We enable compression on the /nsr volume (currently at 1.24:1
compression)
Install NetWorker 7.5.1 over the now existing /nsr directory.
Startup NetWorker 7.5.1
Delete all JukeBoxes and drives
Scan for new JukeBoxes and drives

If any problems exist rollback...
I also didn't want to have any media problems so I only had a few new tapes
available for my first few backups, but this is just a precaution so I could
safely rollback.

Good luck and happy huntings...  I'd recommend doing the nsrck -L6 before
and after, the upgrade but we didn't have time for this before the upgrade.

Alec