Networker

Re: [Networker] Upgrade Time... (7.4.4 to 7.5.1)

2009-09-03 19:31:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Upgrade Time... (7.4.4 to 7.5.1)
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 18:27:30 -0500
I'm trying to figure out why people have so many storage nodes...  10,
really?

I've got a fairly beefy backup environment, about 36TB on the weekends and a
lot of boxes 100+.  And I'm doing this all on a single Sun T5240... doesn't
even seem to be cracking a sweat.

Seems to me... any modern machine can handle:
    Atleast 6 1GB NIC's if not 2-4 10gb NIC's...  so that's 7-40gb/s
inbound...
    Atleast 2-4 dual ported 4gb HBA's... So that's 16gb/s outbound...

    And a modern 4x4 Intel server or a 100+ coolthread Sun server can easily
move that much bandwidth...

    So why so many boxes?

Are all the storage nodes regional -- if so, I completely understand.
Are all these storage nodes for doing snapshot backups (which I've learned
to despise and not value at all)?
Is it because you're using a Windows infrastructure?
Or Legacy?

Am I missing a boat somewhere?

Chester, can you explain why you have 10 storage nodes to solve my
curiosity?

Alec