Networker

Re: [Networker] How to remove bogus device entry from NMC?

2009-09-03 18:44:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to remove bogus device entry from NMC?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 17:39:06 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] How to remove bogus device entry from NMC?, Len...:

I have a small test system running 7.5.1 on Solaris 10, actually OEM-ed
Sun "EBS". We have only one tape drive on it, which is in a small
autochanger, /dev/rmt/0cbn.

After trying to configure the library from the GUI and getting a "device
already exists" error, I finally gave up and added it successfully using
jbconfig instead. Now, in addition to the correct device that shows up in
the Devices list and under the library in the GUI, there's another bogus
device, named "hostname:/dev/rmt/0cn". It cannot be edited, deleted,
anything. I've even tried to remove it using jbedit, but it jbedit just
shortens the name and says it can't remove the last device in the jukebox.

I had the exact same thing happen to me on one of our two RHEL 5.x
NetWorker servers, when I upgraded the smaller of the two from 7.4.2 to
7.4.5.

It took me quite a while to get the mess cleared up, and I've vowed that
despite what others have said about configuring the jukebox through the
NMC GUI, it will be years before I try that again.  I'm sticking with
jbconfig.

To get rid of the problem I used nsradmin, in visual mode.

- select type NSR StorageNode and delete the storage node it defined.
- select type NSR Jukebox and delete the jukebox it defined.
- If any of your media pools have particular device limitations, modify
  the pool so that those no longer exist.  If you don't do that, you won't
  be able to do the next step
- select type NSR Device and delete any devices that are defined.

At this point you will have a NetWorker server with no devices, storage
nodes, or jukeboxes.

- now run jbconfig and configure your jukebox
- once the jukebox is configured with jbconfig, use nsradmin or NMC to
  change any jukebox settings that you had previously customized.
- re-apply any media pool device limitations you may have temporarily
  removed.

Tim
edu