Networker

[Networker] Recommended filesystem partition size

2009-09-03 03:26:34
Subject: [Networker] Recommended filesystem partition size
From: tkimball <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 03:18:57 -0400
I'm going to assume the 28 TB is being used as adv_file devices, and not an
actual VTL.

Having smaller mounts for adv_file are useful if you'd like to keep the various
backups segregated using pools.  For example, I have separate disk devices for
my Full and Incremental backups, using different RAID groups underneath.

Another advantage to multiple disk devices is that each one can then stream to
its own tape drive for cloning or staging, speeding up both operations (if you
have the same number of tape drives, and have the hardware to drive them well
enough from the disk).

The big thing you'll need to watch for is that each adv_file device uses two
device 'slots' under server/SN licensing rules.

--TSK