Networker

Re: [Networker] Cross Charging for Data Retained

2009-09-02 12:38:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cross Charging for Data Retained
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 11:32:31 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Cross Charging for Data Retained, ianc said (at...:

Problem I have is how to measure all the data we have on tape at present
(1.5Pb) at the server level.

What would be involved as my index is partly archived itself, would I
need to just scan the index totally to do this and would this get all
data held? I presuming this is going to take forever to do and we need
to do it on a monthly basis.

I don't really understand this.  All the information you need for the
problem, as you've stated it, is stored in the media database.  None of
what you need is in any client file index.

Are you saying that not all of your media database is online, that you've
manually purged information about some volumes (but you do still have the
volumes)?

The default operation of NetWorker is that although information in the
client file indexes is pruned based on browse, the information in the
media database is NOT pruned (even based on retention) until the volume
itself is recycled.   Unless you're manually purging stuff from your media
database, if you still have the volumes, you still have the info you need.

There have been a number of questions relating to mminfo's summary report
(-X) lately, check the archives.  It might be a useful starting point for
getting the info you're looking for.

Tim
edu