Networker

[Networker] Expired savesets still marked browsable, tapes not marked recyclable

2009-09-02 10:34:30
Subject: [Networker] Expired savesets still marked browsable, tapes not marked recyclable
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 10:31:14 -0400
This is something that maybe I just never noticed before. We have a uniform recycle time and do it manually so it probably doesn't matter much.

When loading our oldest tapes into the jukebox for recycling, I noticed two of them did not say they were eligible for recycling. When I looked, they each had some savesets on them, but both ssbrowse and ssretent for them were in the past. The sumflags however listed them as browsable and ssflags did not have the E (expired flag). The volume also has an expiration

All our savesets use a Quarter retent and browse policy, and nothing seems to indicate these are otherwise.

What they do seem to have in common is that they are all seem to be incrementals. Some googling does indicate that if a full has not expired, the incrementals won't expire or something similar, but there are intervening fulls that have also expired. In one case we do ONLY incrementals (they are database dumps).

Is there any other reason these save sets are not properly expiring?

-Brian