Networker

Re: [Networker] Version 7.5.1.4

2009-09-02 09:28:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Version 7.5.1.4
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 09:23:30 -0400
On 9/2/09 7:58 AM, psoni wrote:
Has anyone upgraded to 7.5.1.4 yet (Windows) ?
We currently have 7.3.3 .

Recommendations ?

Having just dealt with the problems of using an interim release (7.4.4.6) and the strange problems that were created with that release and having been chided by EMC Support when I called in about those problems -- I would strongly urge that you avoid interim releases such as this one. EMC does not appear to test them anywhere near as rigorously as they test the releases that are put on powerlink for download. If you are going to put this on a client or two -- you will probably be fine. If you are going to put this on your NetWorker server and storage nodes -- you may find some of the problems that EMC didn't test for before making the interim release available.

I suppose these interim releases are better than the old hot-fix method that was used where each time you got a hot-fix for a particular binary you had to really question EMC support to make sure that they included the previous hot-fixes you'd already obtained for that binary. Still, I'd really like to see EMC release real (as in QA tested) fixes.

<soapbox>
After two and a half years of being the guy in charge of our backup infrastructure, I'm getting sick of having to fight EMC to fix the same problems every single time they talk (or force) me into upgrading. I would welcome any initiative by EMC to make their hot-fix/apar process better.
</soapbox>