Networker

[Networker] Question: manually marking disk backup savesets recyclable ?

2009-08-31 16:44:36
Subject: [Networker] Question: manually marking disk backup savesets recyclable ?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 15:40:14 -0500
We're in the process of setting up a new server with 7.5.1 and adv_file
devices; it will backup itself and a couple of other hosts. Having dealt
only with tapes in all previous production environments, the question came
up of how to get rid of a specific saveset on a disk volume. Of course, on
tape, we always wait for the entire volume to go recyclable automatically
following all savesets on it expiring. Being a sequential volume, that's
normal. However, a disk volume is random access.

I know we can manually stage a specific SSID to tape to reclaim disk
space, but is there a way to mark a specific saveset (and no others) on a
disk volume as recycable? nsrim? nsrmm?

Dumb question here, but I assume when using adv_file devices, recycling
occurs at the saveset level and not at the volume level... IOW, each
individual saveset will expire when its policies are passed (therefore
making available to the system the space it was using), instead of waiting
for every saveset on the volume to expire and then the whole volume
becoming recyclable at once? Tell me that's the case... :-)

Thanks.
Len Philpot