Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup to Disk and then tape

2009-08-31 01:23:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup to Disk and then tape
From: Ronny Egner <RonnyEgner AT GMX DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:18:23 +0200
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:20:23 -0400
> Von: bghatora <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
> An: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Betreff: [Networker] Backup to Disk and then tape

> I am using RMAN to backup our database to local disk and now I want to
> back that up to tape using networker. I know I have to configure the adv_file
> device type but do not know the exact steps.
>
> Since /backup disk is local do I need to mount this on my networker
> server?
> Do I also need to install storage node software along with the networker
> client?

Hi,

the only thing you need is first the NMO module installed for your
oracle version and rman configured to use 'SBT_TAPE' instead of disk. This
will send the backup stream to the networker server/storage node via TCP/IP.
On networker side you configure pools and so on as you do with "normal"
backups. You dont even need a adv_disk device - you can send the data
directly to tape (cause it is normal data from networker perspective).
If you want to use a storage node - you can do it just as you would do with
normal file system backups.

In addition to that you can of course configure staging, cloning and so on.

Ronny
--
Ronny Egner
RonnyEgner AT gmx DOT de