Networker

[Networker] reusing clone volumes without affecting original savesets

2009-08-25 15:00:28
Subject: [Networker] reusing clone volumes without affecting original savesets
From: Greg Etling <getling AT STERN.NYU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:48:31 -0400
Hey all,

Our organization has tended to keep only a limited number of clones available for DR usage, and I think we've been going about it the wrong way (now that I understand about cloned saveset retentions). After looking through archives, I seem to think I see a workaround suggested, but I wanted to see if this is something that others do with current versions (I'm on 7.4.4) of networker.

Intended outcome: Reuse clone volumes without affecting saveset retention on the original savesets.

Where before we had been forcibly recycling old clone volumes (which I now realize will mark the original savesets recyclable), it appears that if I simply delete the clone volume from the indexes and media db, then it will leave the original saveset retention as-is and I can insert the volume into the jukebox and networker will pick it up as a new volume, write a new label to it, and proceed as usual. Or perhaps I will need to manually label these volumes since they have valid NW labels already?

Input on this solution or any other workarounds (preferably not the manual recycling of backup pool volumes as EMC recommends as that would be a lot more administrative overhead) is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Greg

-----
Greg Etling <getling AT stern.nyu DOT edu <mailto:getling AT stern.nyu DOT edu>>
Systems Administrator
Stern IT Enterprise Operations
NYU Stern School of Business

-----