Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows 2008, VSS, & NMM

2009-08-18 18:47:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows 2008, VSS, & NMM
From: Scott Bingham <bingham_scott AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:33:32 -0400
Hello Jim,

To augment Michael's statement: you have the option of using either
solution for Windows 2008: the normal NetWorker Client or NMM.  If you
have none of the applications that Michael lists, then you probably to
not want the additional complexity and cost of NMM.  You might choose
NMM if you want to manage snapshots of your data disks.

Microsoft does indeed mandate that VSS be used to backup the OS for
Vista and Windows 2008 and later.  Both of the above solutions use VSS.

The particular message that you have seen with NMM ("backup1 received
client install notification") was a known problem in 2.1.  I believe
that there was a hotFix, but NMM 2.2 was released in May, and this
problem was fixed there.

Thanks,
_Scott