Networker

Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server

2009-08-13 15:45:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Moving client to a different Networker server
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:42:10 +0000
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 03:14:25PM -0400, Greg Etling wrote:
> Interesting that it would appear then that EMC's own documentation and
> support reps have led me astray on this! The scanner -i suggestion
> (which the man page says "Rebuilds both the media and the online file
> indexes from the volumes read.") came from both the 7.4 DR Guide (pg.
> 46) and from an EMC support rep. Though they always have been giving the
> caveat on engaging professional services to assist.

Scanner does merge the information *on that volume* with the running
database.  The problem is that if you have more than a small number of
tapes, the time to perform the scan becomes huge.

You can't scan a bootstrap or media backup and merge the information
in the bootstrap.  It's only merging information about that one volume.

> Lastly, in scenarios 1 and 2, recognizing the limitations you have
> described, how do you use scanner to scan in savesets from which you
> need to restore, if the media db entries do not exist?

Make a list from the old server while it exists (or start up a temp
instance and load it with the old bootstrap).  Then manually find the
tapes you need.  Scan those tapes into the new server.

--
Darren