Networker

Re: [Networker] setting a barcode on a volume

2009-08-11 18:38:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] setting a barcode on a volume
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:34:20 -0400
On 8/11/09 3:40 PM, A Darren Dunham wrote:
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:25:43PM -0400, Francis Swasey wrote:
I have a tape that five years ago was in a jukebox with a barcode reader. We've since replaced that jukebox and no longer have the ability to read the barcode. I recently had to run "scanner -m" on the tape and now have a media database that has the contents of the tape, but has forgotten what the barcode of the tape is (here barcode should be thought of as the human readable label on the outside of the tape). Sadly, the barcode is different from the internal volume label.

But it has *a* barcode?  Is the current barcode readable by the jukebox
it's in? If so, doing an inventory on the slot should sync them up.

Yes, the tape has the same barcode it had 5 years ago. What I no longer have is the jukebox that will accept an AIT-3 tape (I have a couple of drives that I use to recover these old savesets -- but due to a concerted number of errors and with the help of EMC, I now have this tape label in my media database but it no longer has a barcode associated with it). So, my problem is that I have a tape that has a barcode (that as far as I know is readable) but I don't have a jukebox to put it in to get NetWorker to automatically re-associate the barcode with the tape volume.

I'm not aware of a command that will let you hand-enter the barcode, I
just do it through nsrjb inventory.

I'd love to if I had a jukebox that would accept the tape -- but we switched to LTO media and replaced our jukebox. We didn't think we'd be having this problem.

For the time being, I've set the "location" value to the barcode, at least I have a record of it.... /sigh