Networker

Re: [Networker] Scanner command taking soooooooooooo long

2009-08-11 08:37:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Scanner command taking soooooooooooo long
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:31:17 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
08/10/2009 05:34:55 PM:

> One more question...
>

> If I have multiple tape drives do I have to wait for networker to call
> in tape 2, then 3, then 4?  Can I have multiple scanner jobs running
> against the same saveset allowing me to run the scanner against all 4
> tapes at once?

You can run "scanner -m" on multiple tapes at once, but "scanner -i" has
to be run in the sequence that the tapes were written to.

IOW, if you have 4 tapes #1, #2, #, #4, you can run "scanner -m" on all 4
at the same time (presuming you have 4 tape drives). This will re-populate
your media database with the information about the savesets on those
tapes. However, if the saveset spans multiple tapes (#3, then #2, then #4)
- you find the order by querying mminfo for the saveset you want - you
will have to do a "scanner -i" on #3, then #2, and finally #4. That will
rebuild the index, in the proper order.