Networker

Re: [Networker] Strorage Node planning for back up infrastructure

2009-07-28 11:16:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Strorage Node planning for back up infrastructure
From: "Coty, Edward" <Edward.Coty AT AIG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:57:50 -0400
Server power edition you can have up to 64 streams. Additional storage nodes
can add another 32 streams. I found out that you can add the additional 32
streams by just adding a storage node license to the power edition server.

You can have one library and zone the robotic arm to the server. Let him
control the mounts, dismounts for the server and storage nodes if any. You can
then zone however many tape drives to the master server and storage node.
Example if you have 4 drives you can zone two to each. Keep in mind you need at
least one on your server for meta data.

You have to take into account the server hardware, cpu, memory, HBA, type of
physical drive to use.

Example: If you have a Emulex LP11000 card that is rated at 8GB speed. You can
spin multiple LTOIV drives from this card  as long as the server can receive
the data and push it out the backend. To spin one LTOIV drive you need at least
one GB network card and you still might not be able to spin the drive to spec.
I am using SUN T5240 servers using the cards stated above. I am spinning one
LTOIV driver per port on the HBA. Dual ported. I am seeing almost 180GB/s per
drive for LAN free backups and I am seeing almost 100GB/s aggregate through one
GB network interface.

There is so much more I could explain. Do not have the time.

EDWARD COTY
LEAD STORAGE ENGINEER, LCNA, NACP
WORK - 973-533-2098
CELL - 973-296-0918