Networker

Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 20 Jul 2009 to 21 Jul 2009 (#2009-189)

2009-07-23 10:15:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] NETWORKER Digest - 20 Jul 2009 to 21 Jul 2009 (#2009-189)
From: Kathleen Stewart <stewartk2 AT EMAIL.CHOP DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:08:02 -0400
Rachel:

You need to stop your services, delete the tmp directory and restart the
services.  I just had this happen last week.

Kathy

Date:    Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:12:51 +1000
From:    Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT UWS.EDU DOT AU>
Subject: Re: Application "loses" apparently good index entries for tapes

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, bdeschanes wrote:

> When I launch the GUI application for the server hosting my stacker
> immediately after restarting the nsr services on the host, it shows good
> index information for the tapes, but moments after launching it switches all
> the tapes to "<not in media index>". At first I tried re-inexing the tapes,
> but it seems to act like they're really still in there. Unfortunately the
> backups then usually (90+% of the time) hang and send out a message "
> NetWorker media: (waiting) Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool
> 'Default' tape(s) on ..."
>
> Just to be confusing, once every many tries it successfully starts backing up
> jobs, but still displays the "<not in media index" message next to the
> volumes. The system is running "NetWorker 7.4.2.Build.431 Network Edition/34"
> and has been working fine for many months. This started last week. I've reset
> the library, the scsi channel, and the NetWorker services MANY times in
> various orders and ways. I'm more or less keeping up with backups, but the
> required babysitting and "jiggling" of the library is keeping me from doing
> anything else... Any suggestions as to why it's doing this or how to correct
> it?
>
> I'm not new to backups, but this problem has me stumped. I'll keep digging,
> and if I figure it out on my own I'll update accordingly.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I have the exact same version and the exact same problem.

I just do an "nsrjb -IE" and wait for it to finish.   It is an extremely
annoying problem if it happens when
there are jobs waiting to run.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT

-

Kathy Stewart
Backup Administrator
Research Information Systems