Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker Virtual Edition Client

2009-07-22 12:09:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker Virtual Edition Client
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:02:22 +0200
Hi, I will try to explane how we understand the licensing around backing up virtualised environments. This is btw. the same view how EMC explaned it recently.

What licenses you need, depends on the the way how you want to back up your ESX server or the guest systems.

- In the simple configuration, where you use VCB through the required VCB proxy to back up simple VMs (without spec. databases), you don't need the Virtual Edition Client Edition at all! In this case you don't install any NetWorker piece either on the ESX server nor in the individual VMs. You interface with the VMs only on the VCB proxy where they get mounted and backed up with NetWorker. If you want to send the backup data from the proxy through the LAN to a storagenode than you only need a Client Connection license for that proxy server, if it has backup target devices connected, than it needs a storagenode license. Restoring the whole VM is possible back to the proxy and from there via VCB to the ESX server. - In the case you have spec. databases like EXCH or SQL installed in a VM or you just want to make the backups out of the VM to achieve a better restore granularity, you need to install the NetWorker client portion and the application specific module like NM-EXCH or the newer NMM (NetWorker Module f. MS Apps.) into the VM to achieve a DB aware and consistent backup of that databases.

To come to the point, the Virtual Edition Client (VEC) is only needed if you install NetWorker pieces (Clients or ASMs) in the VMs and don't want to pay for each Client Connection or ASM individually for every VM. In pre 7.4 releases befor the VEC license modell introduction, this was a big disadvantage of using NetWorker in (any) virtualized environment. As you can see in the attached Licensing Guide explanation, this licensing modell is not only good for VMs in a VMware environment, but also in MS Hiper-V, Solaris containers, zones etc.

regards -attila

---------------------
NetWorker Virtual Edition Client
Licensing
• Per physical host hosting virtual machines (or Guest Operating Systems).
• One license per physical host allows file system backups of unlimited number of VMs on that
host.
Notes
• This new product model works with NetWorker 7.4 SP3 and later versions only. • A single NetWorker Virtual Edition Client per physical host will enable unlimited virtual machines to be backed up. With this new virtual client on the host, users can install NetWorker client code for filesystem backup in each VM of the physical host as needed
without the need for more licenses or enablers.
• Part number for NetWorker Virtual Edition Client – 456-100-676.
• This simplified licensing model will work for VMware environments as well as other server virtualization technologies, in particular, IBM LPars, Solaris Zones and Microsoft Hyper-V. For details on which virtualization technologies are suppored by NetWorker, see the
Information Protection Software Compatibility Guide on PowerLink.
• This model is applicable for VMware environments where you have applications running on Virtual Machines and therefore cannot leverage VCB (VMware Consolidated Backup).
Currently, VCB allows file system backups only, not applications.
• For application consistent backups, a NetWorker Virtual Edition Client and the appropriate NetWorker Application module is needed for each of the individual Virtual Machines. One license is required for each application type (SQL, Exchange, SharePoint, Oracle, SAP etc.) used within all of the virtual machines on a single physical server. There are no changes to model codes for NetWorker Modules, so use existing codes and license
enablers.
• For users using VMotion, each ESX server that hosts the source VM or destination VM will require the virtual client and the appropriate application module license. • If users want to cluster their ESX Servers using VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) and VMware HA, they need to purchase NetWorker Virtual Edition Client for each ESX Server in their ESX Cluster Farm. They also need to purchase the appropriate number of module
licenses depending upon the applications running in their farm.
---------------------

Attila Mester                           5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Data Protection Architect                  Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH                      Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1                                Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany              mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com

James Pratt schrieb:
Hi, we purchased 16 of these virtual cals, on the presumption that yes,
one would be needed per ESX host. (This is what our EMC rep told us as
well!?)

However, I've also noticed via nsrlic that only 1 virtual cal ever seems
to be in use - could it be that the lics' are only used temporarily when
doing the actual VCB itself, and then released afterwards?
We are on 7.5.1 on windows 32-bit, and am quite sure we have setup the
virtualization piece in NW properly, since all our vcb's work. I'm
thinking of removing 15 of the 16 cals and see what happens ... :\

(If only 1 virtual cal *is* required "in the grand scheme", I guess we
certainly got ripped off! ...  :(

Thanks,
Jamie