Networker

Re: [Networker] Errors in backup due to wildcards

2009-07-20 16:50:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Errors in backup due to wildcards
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:46:15 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Errors in backup due to wildcards, Terveen, Frank...:

Dear All,

In our Windows 200x enviroment running networker 7.4.4
We get errors in the backup due to the use of wildcards

The savesets below are used with wildcard *

E:\data\users\homefolders
E:\Data\users\Profiles\*\desktop
E:\Data\users\Profiles\*\application data
E:\Data\users\Profiles\*\favorites
E:\Data\users\Profiles\*\My Documents

And give the following errors

3 retries attempted
e:\userdata\profiles\*\favorites: No such file or directory

Are you using wildcards in the saveset specifications (rather than using
"All") or are you using wildcards in directives?  I don't think wildcards
are supported in the middle of a path in either place, but knowing where
you're actually using the wildcards would help determine what your best
option is.

For that matter, knowing what you're actually trying to accomplish would
also help.  Are you trying to back up just those folders, and skip all
other data?

Since you don't say what it is you're actually trying to accomplish I can
only guess at what a solution might be.  If my guess is correct and you're
trying to back up just those folders and they're all located under a
common directory, I would think using the "All" saveset with some
carefully chosen directives (you probably want to look at "null" or
"skip", together with "forget") would accomplish what you want.

Note that wildcards (globs) ARE supported in directives, just not in the
middle of a path specification.  It's possible you may not even need
wildcards, though, depending on how you specify your directives.

Tim
edu