Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.2.2 Hanging on Solaris 10...

2009-07-02 14:46:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.2.2 Hanging on Solaris 10...
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 13:36:02 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] NetWorker 7.2.2 Hanging on Solaris 10..., Alec...:

Finally is the upgrade to 7.4.4 just to install ontop of 7.4.2?  Anyone
experience any issues with a 7.4.2 -> 7.4.4 upgrade?

Not during the upgrade itself, but we've experienced several issues since
upgrading to 7.4.4.4.  We went from 7.4.2 to 7.4.4.4, and I regret it.  In
our environment (two RHEL 5.3 Linux server NetWorker servers, 130 clients
with a mix of Linux, UNIX, Windows, and Novell NetWare), 7.4.2 was very
stable.

We've seen a lot more problems with 7.4.4.4 than we did with 7.4.2, and to
top it off, the problem we were having (nsrck -L7 not loading indexes from
tape) that caused EMC to ask us to upgrade wasn't fixed by the upgrade.

In particular, we've noticed:

- a big jump in backup failures of our NetWare clients, relating to RPC
  errors.  I posted about this on the list last week and have a call
  open with EMC.

- backup groups inexplicably hanging.  This is happening on a regular
  basis.  I know others have posted in the past about problems with the
  nsrjobd having issues that may cause these symptoms.  I'm going to
  review the tuning suggestions for nsrjobd that have been posted before.

- the issue Francis, Preston and others have reported with savefs
  complaining:

* clienta.nodak.edu:All 7198:savefs: path /home by default belongs to
  client clienta.nodak.edu and NOT client clienta.nodak.edu!
* clienta.nodak.edu:All Searching for NetWorker bin 'pathownerignore' file.

Overall, I'm spending a lot more of my time babysitting NetWorker and
interacting with EMC trying to get issues resolved since going to 7.4.4.4.

Tim
edu