Networker

Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding Issue (again)

2009-06-27 12:59:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Persistent Binding Issue (again)
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 12:54:08 -0400
Because persistent binding means absolutely nothing in Windows in regards to
tapes

Windows has a higher level api called Windows Plug and Play Driver that assigns
device names like //./Tape0. It has nothing to do with fiber channel or other
lower level drivers, so no matter what you do at the FC or SCSI level, the PnP
driver will assign a arbitrary name.

To force those names to be consistent (which is important with tape drives),
you need to set registry settings. Once that is done, the Plug and Play driver
will create names like //./.Tape6455534 based on your SerialNumber of the tape
drive.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com  | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139