Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWare clients and server > 7.4.2, increased RPC failures

2009-06-22 19:54:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWare clients and server > 7.4.2, increased RPC failures
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:47:15 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWare clients and server > 7.4.2, increased...:

I've been one of the few having a LOT of RPC issues on 7.4.4.4.  I don't
have any Netware servers, but we do have some problems with RPC's tying
up our McAfee to the point of the backups failing.   We have an open
case where both EMC and McAfee have escalated it to their Tier 3
engineering.

David, you probably just saved me a week of back and forth with EMC!

Clones have also been an issue with 7.4.4.4 - I can only clone through
our dedicated storage nodes, not our backup server.

Are you using McAfee on any of your systems - specifically the backup
server, but it could also be the client?

Not on the backup server, which is RHEL 5.x, but we ARE using McAffee on
all the NetWare boxes.  This doesn't guarantee that it's the same problem
you're seeing, but seems like something we should definitely let EMC know
about.

Interestingly, we haven't yet seen any RPC issues with our Windows
clients, most of which are also using McAffee, but we might just have been
lucky so far.

Would you be willing to share your incident # with me off list?

Huge thanks for your response!

Tim