Networker

Re: [Networker] nwadmin with Networker 7.4

2009-06-19 17:41:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] nwadmin with Networker 7.4
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:34:04 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] nwadmin with Networker 7.4, David Magda said...:

On Jun 19, 2009, at 15:47, Tim Mooney wrote:

I agree about the lack of overlap for conversion from nwadmin to NMC.  My
main gripe with NMC these days is that EMC wrote an "enterprise"
application wherein there's absolutely no support for encrypting either
authentication data or subsequent traffic.  It's 2009 -- who still thinks
it's OK to have no encryption for authentication?!

Not sure if nwadmin was / is any better with encrypting stuff, but at least you could SSH into the server and do X11 forwarding. Ditto for nsrwatch.

It had no encryption built in, as is common for X11 applications, but then
it also didn't *require* you to authenticate, so there was never any
danger of your authentication information passing over the network in the
clear.  NMC requires you to authenticate and doesn't support any type of
encryption.  Not a step in the right direction.

We did the same thing with the old tools that you did/do -- use ssh
X11 forwarding.  Worked very well, and in a pinch you could possibly
even safely run the administrative tool from off site.  With NMC, there's
no (built in) safe way to authenticate without passing your authentication
in the clear.  You pretty much have to fall back to the old ssh method and
use nsradmin if you need to make an administrative change from offsite.

I was intrigued by A J Thew's post earlier this week, asking about ssh
tunneling and NMC.  I'm hoping someone has actually succeeded in making
that work and will share what they did.  Seems like a challenging problem
to solve, though, because of the two step process with running NMC.

Tim
edu