Networker

Re: [Networker] inventory for the tape drive

2009-06-19 09:10:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] inventory for the tape drive
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:06:22 -0400
On 6/19/09 8:51 AM, psoni wrote:
Hi,

I am using NW 7.3.3 with Dell ML600 (four LTO-3 tape drives).

As per tape library, there are no tapes loaded in any of the drives but NMC
thinks  \\.\ Tape 0 has a tape.

That volume is unlabeled and also lost its location field.

I tried [1] nsrjb -I -S <slot#> [2] nsrjb -u -f \\.\Tape 0  but nothing worked
so far.

Error: nsrd: \\.\Tape0 1:unmounted (already)
06/19/09 07:13:32 nsrlcpd #1: Jukebox error: Jukebox:[email protected]
access:[email protected] failed:MOVE MEDIUM key:5 status:CHECK CONDITION UNKNOWN,
Medium Source Element Empty

We have setup staging/cloning policies to run during the day and don't want to
inventory the entire jukebox.

Is there any way to inventory just \\.\ Tape 0 ?

I haven't tried restarting the services. Will it help ?

If NetWorker really thinks that there is a tape in that drive and that tape is really not in that drive... You should follow the general rule:

When NetWorker and reality disagree -- make reality agree with NetWorker --
it's just easier.

And put the tape that NetWorker thinks is in that drive back into that drive (using sjimm or whatever tool (ieboperatorarm works too) you have at hand).

Then NetWorker will be able to deal with it...

Honestly, I had to do that a LOT when I was running 7.3.3 -- it's better now
that I'm on 7.4.4.