Networker

Re: [Networker] mtime directive question?

2009-06-18 20:04:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] mtime directive question?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:00:02 +1000
Hi George,

On 19/06/2009, at 09:50 , George Sinclair wrote:

Hi,

Kind of a stupid question here (sigh ...) but have to ask.

I have a client side directive (/data/dir1/.nsr) with the following:

+mtimeasm: .?* *

We created this because there were problems wherein the change of file status time (not modtime) was getting affected on a ton of files every night, and this was causing huge incrementals. By instituting this directive, the problems went away, and we were subsequently only backing up files whose mod time changed as opposed to the default which goes by ctime (that's what I call it).

OK, so what happens if we run a level full on /data? Will a level full still capture all the files regardless of their ctimes or mtimes, or would this directive force the full to only capture files whose modtimes had changed?

I want to say that the full will get everything regardless except for anything that is being skipped (e.g. null', 'skip') by some other directive.

A full backup should do just that, regardless of whether you're using the mtimeasm directive. (Verified: Just configured a client with a directory with mtimeasm and immediately started a full backup of the client ... the entire directory was saved.)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com