Networker

Re: [Networker] browsing and retention policies

2009-06-16 18:16:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] browsing and retention policies
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:09:18 +1000
On 17/06/2009, at 04:04 , Davina Treiber wrote:

David Magda wrote:

If a save set exists, but it's not in the index, how would you know about it? Does Networker keep it's client save set list in a separate database
than the browsable indexes?
The details are a bit sketchy in my mind: does Networker know about a save set for a particular client(s) for as long as retention policy states, but you simply can't get a pretty list of files and directories without the
browsing index?

That's exactly it. The media database keeps track of volumes and save sets. Information about each save set is limited to details such as save time, retention, size etc. The contents of each save set is only (and optionally) held in the client file index, which gives you information about each file backed up.

Davina's answer is correct, I thought I'd add to it with historical considerations why browse and retention policies are maintained separately.

Pre- NetWorker-v6, NetWorker indices were maintained in WISS format. This database format was notoriously bad at handling large scale (read: >2GB) chunks of data. One way to avoid corruption, etc., was to keep browsable indices smaller regardless of the retention time. Also, we have to consider previous disk pricing models, where (a) disk for servers was frightfully expensive and (b) management generally didn't want to spend money on "unimportant" systems such as the backup server. As a result of this, backup administrators frequently had to run with considerably smaller capacity than they would have liked to, and scan in older backups as required.

These days there are much fewer valid reasons for keeping different browse/retention policies - I'm not saying there's none, but there's a lot less than there used to be.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com