Networker

[Networker] Monitoring backups via snmp or syslog

2009-05-28 14:11:19
Subject: [Networker] Monitoring backups via snmp or syslog
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 13:59:27 -0400
Hi everyone;

We are nearly in production of a new ERP system (SunGard Banner) and one
thing we need to do is set up a way for our operators to receive alerts on a
console whenever a backup fails or is hung.

This console is set up to see snmp and syslog data. What I want to know is
if anyone has any ideas on how I can set up each client to issue an smnp or
syslog alert when a backup failure occurs or if a backup is taking more than
24 hours to complete. I figure that the client notifications section of each
client resource might come into play here.

The environment consists of mostly Red Hat Linux clients and a handful of
Windows 2003 clients all backing up to a NetWorker 7.4.4 server on Red Hat
Linux AS 4.5. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.