Networker

[Networker] Index vs. saveset browse/retention policies

2009-05-27 16:21:20
Subject: [Networker] Index vs. saveset browse/retention policies
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:14:41 -0500
Here's the scenario --

Our clients "A" through "W" all have the same browse and retention
policies (5 weeks for both). Clients "X" & "Y" back up to their own unique
pool and have much shorter policies (1 week). However, X & Y's indexes
apparently have the majority's longer policies: The volumes containing X &
Y aren't becoming recyclable when X & Y's savesets expire, but rather when
their indexes expire much later.

For example, here are a couple of lines from mminfo :

        volume      client       name           completed  browse retent
        001703      backup-srv   index:X        05/20/09   06/24/09
06/24/09
        001703      X            C:\            05/20/09   05/27/09
05/27/09

As you can see, the savesets themselves expire on time, but the indexes
take much longer, therefore holding the volumes non-recyclable. They're
all in X & Y's own pool, BTW. I can only guess this is because the backup
server's client (via which indexes are saved, presumably) is not subject
to X & Ys' policies, but rather the longer ones.

I've never had to explicitly setup index backups before, since Networker
has always taken care of it for me. To tell the truth, I've been most
fortunate in that we've always had the same policies system-wide - This is
the first time I've had to deal with this. "Store Index Entries" is
enabled for X & Y's pool, as it is for all of our other non-clone pools.
If I read correctly, disabling this will result being able to do only
saveset recoveries (short of rescanning the tapes), right?

Is there something obvious I've overlooked? Can I somehow force X & Y's
indexes to be subject to the shorter policies? Or is this just the way it
is?

I feel I must be overlooking something and feel slightly foolish for not
seeing it, but...  :-)

Thanks.