Networker

[Networker] Quantum Scalar i500 vs Dell PV ML6000

2009-05-25 11:06:25
Subject: [Networker] Quantum Scalar i500 vs Dell PV ML6000
From: Manel Rodero <manel AT FIB.UPC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:51:22 +0200
Hello,

Finally, after some months of investigation we have to decide between these two libraries:

- Quantum Scalar i500
- Dell PowerVault ML6000

The Quantum is the original one and the Dell is the OEMized one. Supposedly the differences between them are basically firmware releases and some kind of intelligency (iLayer) in the Quantum one.

The price for a complete i500 in a 5U configuration with 2 LTO4 drives, 6 I/O slots and 36 slots for tapes is +/- 18000€ after some distributor rebates (including 3 years warranty and installation).

The same configuration for Dell ML6000 is +/- 13000€ for their initial offer to us ;-)

As we need to buy a new server too (+/- 4000€) we would like to know about what's your opinion about the OEM Dell library? It's worth the price?

Thank you very much for your help.

--

       Manel Rodero Blánquez
o o o  IT Systems Manager

       E-mail : manel AT fib.upc DOT edu
       Tel.   : +34 93 401 0847
       Web    : http://www.fib.upc.edu/

Abans  d'imprimir aquest missatge, si us plau, assegureu-vos que sigui
necessari. El medi ambient és cosa de tots.

Before  printing  this  message,  please  be sure it is necessary. The
environment is everybody's business.

ADVERTIMENT  /  TEXT  LEGAL:  Aquest  missatge pot contenir informació
confidencial  o  legalment protegida i està exclusivament adreçat a la
persona  o entitat destinatària. Si vosté no es el destinatari final o
persona  encarregada  de  recollir-lo, no està autoritzat a llegir-lo,
retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar el seu
contingut.  Si ha rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, li preguem
que  informi  al  remitent  i elimini del seu sistema el missatge i el
material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la seva col·laboració.

WARNING / LEGAL TEXT: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual  or  entity  to  which  it  is  addressed  and  may contain
information  which is privileged, confidential, proprietary, or exempt
from  disclosure  under  applicable  law.  If you are not the intended
recipient  or the person responsible for delivering the message to the
intended  recipient,  you  are  strictly  prohibited  from disclosing,
distributing,  copying,  or in any way using this message. If you have
received  this  communication  in  error, please notify the sender and
destroy and delete any copies you may have received.