Networker

Re: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some

2009-05-18 04:16:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Some issues. GUI only backs to "default" and some
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:10:38 +1000
Hi Neo,

On 18/05/2009, at 17:49 , NEO wrote:

dmitri wrote:
Use "savegrp" command if you want to run your backup manually. Correct syntax is:
savegrp [-c <host>] -g <group_name>

Regarding this, just to clarify what I meant earlier. If I use this I can't "backup specific", right? From the GUI I can "backup specific". But maybe this ain't possible from the command line and that I'm walking in the territory of "archiving" here?

Referring to the above, and your previous post where you gave the syntax you were using, you can only use an expiration date of "forever" if you have the archive license.

If you want to keep backups pseudo-indefinitely without the license, set an expiration date of early 2038, and a reminder to periodically check new releases of NetWorker to see when EMC enables support for expiration dates past 2038.

E.g.,

save -e "01/01/2038"

> Must add another question. Is it possible to restore specific files in a > save set? Or is a complete "save set" the only thing that can be restored?

Yes, of course. You can use one of the interactive recovery tools (recover, from the command line, winworkr from Windows or nwrecover from Unix) to browse and select individual files to recover. NetWorker offers IMO the best recovery view in that it presents to you each time the filesystem view "as it was" at the time of the backup. Changing the browse time allows you to see previous "views" of the filesystem as of each backup point. You can also if you want instruct NetWorker to recover entire savesets, or you can use it to recover just from a single saveset but name the file/path that you want recovered. It's really quite flexible. If you're working on Unix, check out the man page for "recover", otherwise look at the command reference guide for the same tool for a comprehensive view of what you can do.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com