Networker

Re: [Networker] Cleaning tape

2009-05-11 16:28:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cleaning tape
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:19:36 +0000
On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:13:53AM -0400, Jon Fraley wrote:
> Networker: 7.5.1
> Drives:  HP LTO-4
>
> How many times should we use a cleaning tape?  The default usage for the
> library is set to 5  per cleaning tape.  The manufacture of the
> cartridge says "Cleaning Cartridge will provide 15 to 50 cleanings per
> cartridge, as specified by the drive."  I have not found any specific
> drive info.

You probably have a "universal" cleaning cartridge.  The algorithms that
the drive uses is different.

HP guarantees that their manufactured UCCs will last at least 15
cleanings on an LTO-1 drive and at least 50 cleanings on later models.
(But they'll probably last 52 or 53 cleanings).  Some libraries can
detect when a cleaning cartridge is done, but I don't know any backup
programs (like Networker) that can do the same.

> Assuming I change the default cleaning how can I change the count for
> "uses left" for a cleaning tape already in use?

Yes.  You can change the cleaning count at any time.

--
Darren