Networker

Re: [Networker] Cleaning tape

2009-05-11 09:52:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cleaning tape
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 09:45:53 -0400
On 5/11/09 9:13 AM, Jon Fraley wrote:
Networker: 7.5.1
Drives:  HP LTO-4

How many times should we use a cleaning tape?  The default usage for the
library is set to 5  per cleaning tape.  The manufacture of the
cartridge says "Cleaning Cartridge will provide 15 to 50 cleanings per
cartridge, as specified by the drive."  I have not found any specific
drive info.

I have IBM LTO-4 drives, and I use "50" as the default value for my cleaning cartridges. But, I keep reusing the cartridge until it fails to clean a drive. I've had this system since June of 2007 and I'm only on my second cleaning cartridge (I have some drives that go a couple months and others that want to be cleaned every two weeks -- that is a direct reflection of the difference in their usage).

Assuming I change the default cleaning how can I change the count for
"uses left" for a cleaning tape already in use?

look at the nsrjb -U parameter.