Networker

Re: [Networker] Discoverability of backups... ?

2009-05-04 13:08:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Discoverability of backups... ?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 11:58:24 -0500
"Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT garmin DOT com> wrote on 05/04/2009 11:47:51 AM:

> If you're concerned about discovery in the legal sense then simple
> re-labeling is not enough because it doesn't over-write most of the tape
> and as Darren and I pointed out if it's important enough to be worth the
> cost it is possible to recover the parts of the tape that didn't get
> overwritten.
>
> If you're worried about legal discovery on the tape then you need to
> destroy it or at least overwrite it completely several times.

You're right, and I'm aware that special techniques exist. But like many
things, at some point it comes down to the individual company's policy
choice: Is the risk/whatever worth $X to mitigate fully (i.e., beyond
normal procedures), or not? Every situation will be different. That's not
my decision (and I can't answer it anyway), but I'll work with whatever is
decided. At least I now have a better idea of some of the details involved
so the decision can be better made.

Thanks for the info.