Networker

[Networker] 7.1.2 to 7.2.2

2009-04-28 19:08:12
Subject: [Networker] 7.1.2 to 7.2.2
From: David Magda <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:04:05 -0400
I've inherited a legacy NetWorker setup: it's currently running on an aging IRIX system (6.5.18m).

My current thoughts for upgrading are:
        . upgrade to 7.2.2, still on IRIX
        . verify I didn't break anything
        . copy /nsr to Solaris, still 7.2.2
        . verify
        . upgrade to some newer version

I'd prefer to change only one thing at a time, even if it means more work/time. Multiple moving parts tends to cause bad things to happen.

I know things have changed a lot, so I want to re-orient myself with the new versions. Also, moving to Solaris (which I'm more familiar with), I would probably have to reconfigure our library (ST L180) and drives (FC LTO-1).

Besides the obvious activator code, are there any gotchas with upgrading to 7.2?

For Solaris, since IRIX MIPS and UltraSPARC are both big-endian: I'm assuming that I don't have to worry about any kind of index file issues, and that a straight copy should be sufficient. Is this a valid assumption?

I'd also have to adjust the licensing (hostid) when moving to the Solaris 10 machine.

Am I missing any major pieces?

Thanks for any info.