Networker

Re: [Networker] Can mix Networker x32 and x64 version ?

2009-04-28 18:32:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can mix Networker x32 and x64 version ?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:24:55 +1000
On 29/04/2009, at 05:15 , Marc Couture wrote:

Hi,

I can understand than mixing 7.4.4 version with 7.5.1 is not an issue. But mixing (Networker 7.4.4 x32 bits with Networker 7.4.4 x64 bits) or (Networker 7.5.1 x32 bits with Networker 7.5.1 x64 bits) can work ? In my environment, I can use a master in a 64 bits environment, but I can't migrate all my storagenodes with 64 bits mode.

The thing to remember is the 32-bit vs 64-bit component is just another different platform for NetWorker.

NetWorker has supported multiple operating system types and platforms for different servers and storage nodes for a long time. (Basically I'm struggling to remember when storage nodes were introduced and whether there were any initial restrictions.)

It's quite common to have storage nodes that differ in their platform from the server. For instance, two common configurations I've dealt with over the years involve either having a Windows server and multiple Unix storage nodes, and the reverse. Using 32-bit and 64-bit Windows in the same environment is really no different from using any other combination of platforms.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com