Networker

[Networker] volretent in 7.4.x

2009-04-13 22:22:50
Subject: [Networker] volretent in 7.4.x
From: goony <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 22:14:41 -0400
Same issue here: NetWorker 7.5.Build.179 for Solaris

All of my clients have a browse period of 1 month and a retention period of 1
month.

Once per month I run a cloning script to take full backup savesets of
particular clients and clone them into a separate tape pool. When I do the
nsrclone operation, I set the retention and browse period for the clones to
12/31/37, which is "way, way into the future".

Months later, I was noticing that the original source tape volumes were not
expiring.

When I view the list of savesets on the tape that should have become
recyclable, all savesets (except one) have flags "cE", which means "contained
on this volume/Eligible for recycling". The single saveset that differs has
flags "cb" which means "contained on this volume/is in the index and browsable".

Oddly, the client that has this lone differing saveset flags has other savesets
from the same full backup that are "normal".

-----------

I actually wrote a Perl script that I run automatically once a week that finds
these messed-up saveset retention dates and fixes them... I figured that was
easier (for the moment) than getting EMC to fix the issue.

>From the comments in the Perl script&#058;

# 1) Create a list of savesets from pool 'Staging Clone' that have a retention
date of
#    12/31/37
#
# 2) Set the new retention date for the SSID/CLONEID pair using the retention
period set
#    in the client's record in Networker

Here is the command that actually resets the retention date:

/usr/sbin/nsrmm -v -S $id_pair -e $date

$id_pair is the SSID/CLONEID pair on the tape volume that I wish would expire
normally (i.e. not the clone I want to keep forever)

$date is the ssinsert date plus the retention policy duration days specified in
the client record.

Ugly, but it works.