Networker

[Networker] backup of zfs file system poor performance

2009-04-06 11:44:57
Subject: [Networker] backup of zfs file system poor performance
From: Paula Ehn <pehn AT CC.UMANITOBA DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 10:36:48 -0500
Hi gang,

I've got a backup performance problem on our mail server caused by the way zfs uses memory.

Backup server is Networker V7.4.4 and Solaris 10 (no zfs yet) and the mail server is running Networker client SW v7.4.2 and Solaris 10 using a zfs pool on iSCIS luns for the mail store that is cut into 6 partitions. Each file partition is around 150GB and growing. The mail server is running sendmail and cyrus. One of these mail partitions is taking all day and some over 26 hours to backup full. A similarly sized ufs file system takes a couple of hours to backup up.

We've identified the culprit at the zfs ARC memory cache on the mail server. Every read (and in the case of backups the whole file system) gets read into this ARC cache. This is slowing down the backups as well as causing a performance hit on our mail server with some portion of the mail backups running during the day now. We've added more memory to the mail server to combat this problem but it's still not enough to compensate for the backup hit.

For the record, I did not choose to use a zfs file system on the mail server, but I do have to back it up in such a way as I can do individual file restores.

Is anyone else seeing this problem? Are there any other options for backing up a zfs file system using Networker other than backing it up direct via the client? This mail store does have a few zfs snapshots as well but they reside on the same file system so backing those up instead of the working file system will not give me any performance increases.

Thanks
Paula
| Paula Ehn  VE4MHZ/VE4HZ                    Room E3-628 EITC     |
| Unix System Administrator                  pehn AT cc.umanitoba DOT ca |
| Academic Computing and Networking          (204)474-7849        |
| University of Manitoba                     Fax: (204) 474-8534  |