Networker

[Networker] Upcoming MS Exchange upgrade

2009-04-01 19:06:05
Subject: [Networker] Upcoming MS Exchange upgrade
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:00:53 -0700
Folks,

In about a month we will be upgrading our MS Exchange server from 2003
to 2007.  Being lazy I figured I'd ask if anyone on the list that is
familiar with it had some tips to help ease the process.

Our current MS Exchange 2003 server is a standalone system running
Windows 2K3 Server.  The new system will be running MS Exchange 2008,
probably on Windows 2K3 but perhaps Windows 2K8.  It will consist of two
clustered systems for the Information/Data store part of the server and
two mirrored systems for the front end (if that sounds crazy, enlighten
me, I'm just repeating as best I can my current understanding of how it
goes together).

We are currently still on Networker 7.2.2 but I plan to upgrade to 7.5.?
in the next couple of weeks (anyone think I should upgrade to a lesser
version?).

Do I need an additional license for Exchange for the front end system or
is the currently license we have (NetWorker Module for Microsoft
Exchange Server/11) sufficient or do I need additional licenses for the
Exchange front end systems.  I assume using a 45 day evaluation license
will get us through the 3 weeks or so we plan to use to migrate users to
the new server.  Any problem with that assumption?  When I specify the
Exchange Server to backup up I specify the cluster name, right?

Any other tips that would help make the process go smoothly?

Thanks, Dave

Dave Werth

Garmin AT, Inc.

Salem, Oregon

use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any
attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation