Networker

Re: [Networker] Force Networker to trust barcode label?

2009-03-30 11:39:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] Force Networker to trust barcode label?
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 11:34:07 -0400
According to 7.4 documentation on the nsrjb command:

" Tapes are always loaded into drive for labels to be read in the
following
conditions:
1) jukebox does not have a barcode reader
2) jukebox has barcode enabled and tape's barcode is not in the media
database
3) jukebox has barcode and match barcode enabled; tape's barcode is in
the media
database but location is empty

If a bar code label on the media has changed, then the NetWorker media
database
is updated with the new bar code label. Proper use of a jukebox's bar
code
reader can minimize the time it takes to perform an inventory. "

So IF Networker recognizes the barcode on the tape as a known tape in
its media database, it will trust that the label on the tape matches the
barcode... Otherwise , it will load the tape to check the physical label
on the tape.(or if the location does not get updated and/or is left
blank)...

As soon as I import known tapes into our library via its mail-slots, it
sees and recognizes the barcode label, updates the location of the tape
to be the library name and does not read the label on the tape... The
only time Volume column does not match the barcode column, is when I
import a new unlabeled tape it's never see the barcode for... It puts
the value of "<unlabeled>" in the volume column. I think it also does
this if I 'delete' the volume from the media database altogether... We
only place new, unlabeled volumes in the library when we've run out of
'recyclable' tapes that can be re-labeled for re-use...