Networker

Re: [Networker] How to speed up this backup (4GB -> 8 hours) ?

2009-03-19 12:21:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to speed up this backup (4GB -> 8 hours) ?
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:14:17 -0500
Hello,
I did some checking, on my largest NDMP volume ( 877 GB) backup level
Full, it took apx 3.1 hrs to do file history check and it takes apx 7 hrs
to backups.
Although NDMP backups are not overly fast, this beats when i was backing
this same file systems on the server over lan  it took 17 + hrs.
NDMP will take a snapshot and backup over SAN at block level vs network
making it faster.I believe there exist  options within NDMP to skip some
check if you wish , i.e file history=y attribute can control the behavior,
then only saveset recovery can be performed. ( research this attribute if
it is appropriate for your array vendor and environment or not)
HTH

A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/19/2009 10:18 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: How to speed up this backup (4GB -> 8 hours) ?

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:48:55AM -0500, Fazil Saiyed wrote:
> Hello,
> I misspoke, i did not realize that many files were in the saveset, i
only
> looked at saveset size, this issue regarding  large number of small
files
> has been around for long time, the only reasonable option might be
> snapshots and\or NDMP backup ( i believe you can buy and use NDMP
licence
> for server file systems-please check).
> Thanks

NDMP isn't magic.  It's still going to do a filesystem traversal, and if
you want to restore individual files, it still has to send every
filename back to the backup server.

Multiple millions of files will make NDMP go slow as well.

--
Darren

type