Networker

[Networker] Removal of older save sets

2009-03-18 14:24:11
Subject: [Networker] Removal of older save sets
From: dmitri <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:19:21 -0400
Matthew Powell wrote:
> We are currently writing our legato files to a SAM/QFS file system. This
> means that as soon as legato writes to this directory SAM/QFS will grab
> it and make two tape copies. So in our instance legato will see no tape.
> Just an endless pool of disk. This takes out the whole process of
> cloning tapes to another library. We automatically get two copies on the
> first write. What I am trying to do is to have Legato purge the expired
> save sets and clear the space from disk. If the physical disks get full
> then all disk space is reclaimed because I have two copies of all data
> on tape. It can get the data from the tape by way of an inode pointer
> file. It tells the physical disk this is the location of the file. So I
> just want to know if there is a way for Legato to clean up the old save
> sets that have been expired. This in turn will clear the data from the
> tape or at least mark it for removal so when QFS needs another tape it
> can just overwrite that tape b/c all media is expired. Do I need to
> explain any more on this or does this make sense? Thanks.

Sorry Matt, this is where I lost you completely.  Why don't you give us some
more details on your architecture?  You have NW7.4 on Solaris 10, OK.  What's
it writing to?  Disk, tape, VTL?  What's writing where?  And what exactly are
you trying to achieve by this operation?  What is the problem you are trying to
solve?