Networker

Re: [Networker] Removal of older save sets

2009-03-18 13:33:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Removal of older save sets
From: Matthew Powell <mtpowel AT CLEMSON DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:22:37 -0400
We are currently writing our legato files to a SAM/QFS file system. This
means that as soon as legato writes to this directory SAM/QFS will grab
it and make two tape copies. So in our instance legato will see no tape.
Just an endless pool of disk. This takes out the whole process of
cloning tapes to another library. We automatically get two copies on the
first write. What I am trying to do is to have Legato purge the expired
save sets and clear the space from disk. If the physical disks get full
then all disk space is reclaimed because I have two copies of all data
on tape. It can get the data from the tape by way of an inode pointer
file. It tells the physical disk this is the location of the file. So I
just want to know if there is a way for Legato to clean up the old save
sets that have been expired. This in turn will clear the data from the
tape or at least mark it for removal so when QFS needs another tape it
can just overwrite that tape b/c all media is expired. Do I need to
explain any more on this or does this make sense? Thanks.

Matt Powell
Storage Administrator
Clemson University
office : 865-656-0589