Networker

Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions

2009-03-17 21:43:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:35:08 -0400
> From: David Magda <dmagda AT ee.ryerson DOT ca>
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:31:08 -0400
> To: Stan Horwitz <stan AT temple DOT edu>
> Cc: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: Re: [Networker] Encryption Questions
>
> On Mar 17, 2009, at 21:03, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> [ David Magda wrote: ]
>>
>>> Personally I think this is a common use case, and am hoping that it
>>> becomes available in the base Networker software (or a modestly
>>> priced
>>> option?).
>>
>> For your modest needs, you can do that now with the aes asm if your
>> NetWorker environment is reasonably current.
>
> Yes, this does the AES encryption on the client (?) that is being
> backed up, and sends the cipher text to the tape drive. This would
> kill the hardware compression on the tape drive and drive up CPU usage.
>
> I was wondering about using LTO-4's hardware encryption. This doesn't
> seem to be supported by Networker at this time.

You can do it. I don't think will benefit from compression by using LTO-4's
encryption though. Note that IBM has a utility that manages LTO-4 encryption
keys. You might also talk with your tape library vendor to see if they have
any key management tools for LTO-4. Also, Spectralogic has a key management
feature in some of their LTO-4 tape libraries that might be worth looking
at.